Sunday, May 08, 2005

I recently described this Web log to a friend (I rarely speak of it at all) as a housewife-type blog. That is emphatically not an insult to housewives, by the way. This was to someone who seems to perennially expect great things -- or at least something substantial -- from me. I described it as I did because I didn't want this person coming here expecting up-to-the minute news analysis, investigative reporting or, frankly, any real pot-stirring or muckraking. Blogs are an inherently personal medium, and reading them is still a chancy enterprise. There are bloggers who intentionally put out nastiness and bloggers who put out what purports to be news with a much, much more obvious bias than the mainstream media has ever shown my still relatively tender eyes and ears. I do not intend to be either nasty or invisibly biased. I certainly have a point of view, but, in truth, I'm writing something akin to a journal with the awareness that others could chance upon it. Now that this person has dragged out of me the fact that I still occasionally write, I suppose a few people may occasionally read me on purpose. And that's fine, but this darned thing is still just a place to catch my impressions and string together a few thoughts. If you like it, too, well ... great. Now I'm just going to settle back down into this mercifully peaceful Central Pennsylvania household, and prepare for a good, long day of touring the commonwealth to celebrate the mothers in my family.

No comments: