Monday, June 06, 2011

End-User vs. ISP + Help Desk Caught in Middle?

Late-night hassle with telecom customer service. Who's the biggest jerk? Here's hoping it's not me. The complete and unedited text-based "chat" help-desk session of over and hour and half follows a few paragraphs down. Sorry in advance that the tone is a bit negative here. That's something I've really gotta work on, I know. Constructive comments highly welcomed.

A Question For Readers Here: When will be get good, reliable, safe and reasonably priced ISP/phone companies in the Northwestern suburbs of Philadelphia?? Are there some that most consumers just don't know about? We're talking about something those on fixed incomes can afford, and I'll be shocked if there are any that don't require a package deal.

Bigger Questions: What kind of conditions does this help-desk guy work under? Where is he? Is Verizon or whoever his direct employer is providing him with a decent job? Is he *doing* a decent job? Why can Verizon get away with gouging and harassing their low-end customers? How many other people are experiencing the same or very similar issues here at a time when internet connectivity seems close to necessary to successfully go to school many places or work in many jobs, let alone to "just" stay in touch with family and friends? Why does it take literally hours of employee and customer time to even pretend to get things solved these days?

OK, now I'm laying my one a.m. utter ridiculousness, awkwardness and frustration bare in the hope that it might not just solve problems for me or provide amusement. This is one of countless attempts to get quick, efficient customer service and good, stable, secure internet from this company -- the first time I've tried it by typing rather than talking. I was exhausted before I began the encounter, and am praying I can wind down quickly to get some good sleep before my doctor's appointment Monday mid-morning. FYI: The URL where this exchange took place is noted on the address bar as being https://collaborateext.verizon.com/ I will do my level best to report back here on the status of the trouble call, and to give Verizon accolades if they resolve the issue in any lasting and helpful way. No doubt some of the problem *is* due to my ignorance and stupidity (both technical and interpersonal), as referenced below:

Chat Subject: Unknown
Your Question: Still can't browse Web or access Web-based email. Hardware you sent didn't solve problem, nor, as yet, has telephone customer support. Also, I do not know the number for the DSL (secondary) line you hooked up; forced to give primary telephone number for house number. Very dissatisfied. Please assist
A Verizon Service Representative will be with you shortly. Thank you. (00:49:35)
Agent Gurmeet has joined. (00:50:54)
Gurmeet : Chat ID for this session is 06061162667. (00:50:54)
Gurmeet(00:51:09): Thank you for contacting Verizon DSL Technical Support. My name is Gurmeet and I am the technical support analyst assigned to help you. Please stay online for a few moments while I review the information generated by your trouble ticket.
Gurmeet(00:51:39): Thank you so much for staying online. I appreciate your patience.
Gurmeet(00:51:44): For verification, please provide the following information before we start:
- Your first and last name and relationship with the account holder.
-The Operating System (Window XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2000 or Macintosh) that you are using.
Barbra Bateman(00:54:09): My name is Barbra Bateman, and I opened the DSL account. Would you like the account number? Right now, I am attempting to run Windows XP. What other information can I give you to try to help you get this up, running and secure for me? If there is any, please let me know. In the meantime, I'll try to be patient.
Gurmeet(00:54:39): Thank you for the information, Mr. Bateman.
Gurmeet(00:55:05): While I am checking your account details, may I have your preferred email address? Could you also confirm if your DSL number accepts incoming calls from 800 or toll free numbers?
Barbra Bateman(00:55:08): You do not need to use an honorific.
Barbra Bateman(00:55:16): Excuse me?
Gurmeet(00:55:36): Before I proceed for the troubleshooting steps may I ask you few questions, which will help us to resolve the issue?
Barbra Bateman(00:56:57): Of course you may, but I need to understand why you are asking them. I have not even been provided with the number here. This is a residence. There is no question but that toll-free call acceptance is not authorized on this account.
Gurmeet(00:57:27): It is okay.
Gurmeet(00:57:27): Since when are you facing this issue?
Gurmeet(00:59:19): Please respond on this chat window otherwise this chat window would get inactive.
Barbra Bateman(00:59:36): No, not having the telephone/DSL number for which I am paying $250-plus a year is emphatically not okay, but I have not yet found the person who is alble to resolve this issue for me. I have had issues with connectivity, also, for some time, likely at least a year and a half.
Barbra Bateman(00:59:50): Can you assist?
Gurmeet(01:00:11): Yes, I am here to assist you.
Gurmeet(01:00:51): Please confirm Model number of the Modem you are using to connect to the Internet. Is it Westell 6100, 2200, 6110, Versalink 327, or Actiontec? (Model # is located at the bottom of the Modem)
Barbra Bateman(01:01:48): Just a moment, please.
Barbra Bateman(01:03:15): It is a Westell, but I cannot tell if it is a 6100, 2200 or a 6110.
Barbra Bateman(01:03:28): Oh -- it's a 7500.
Gurmeet(01:03:39): Thank you.
Barbra Bateman(01:04:03): Welcome. Thank you.
Gurmeet(01:04:44): I am running a line test to check your internet connection status.
Gurmeet(01:04:54): So please be online.
Gurmeet(01:05:19): May I know if you are getting any error message while sending/receiving emails?
Barbra Bateman(01:06:39): I have not been able to send or receive emails. My gmail says "working."
Gurmeet(01:06:54): Okay.
Gurmeet(01:07:31): Yes, I have checked you account status through line test, there is problem with your internet.
Gurmeet(01:07:47): I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
Gurmeet(01:08:09): So I would request you to contact our Voice Technical support at 1-800-VERIZON or 1-800-837-4966 and Voice Prompt - "DSL Technical Support. They are available 24x7 (Monday through Sunday).
Gurmeet(01:09:23): They will perform some more advance troubleshooting steps to resolve your issue.
Barbra Bateman(01:09:38): Or rather "still working." That is not an answer that works for me. I have not gotten any satisfaction or lasting help over the telephone, and I feel I'm being taken advantage of as a customer.
Gurmeet(01:10:28): Yes, I can understand but I hope you understand my limitations in this regard.
Barbra Bateman(01:11:04): I understand you are at a remote location and are limited in what you can accomplish, but there must be a way to solve this without the customer having to spend hours upon hours to resolve the promblem. It feels quite punitive, almost as if you were demarketing the very account that got you into this community.
Gurmeet(01:11:15): I have done everything to resolve your issue from my side but after running line test it is showing the problem is still there.
Barbra Bateman(01:11:15): *problem
Gurmeet(01:11:51): I can very well understand your situation and apologize on the behalf of entire Verizon team for the trouble which you have been faced due this issue.
Gurmeet(01:12:39): I mean there is some issue with your internet connection. That is why you are not able to use this facility properly.
Gurmeet(01:13:37): Please do not worry, they will definitely take care of your issue and make sure to fix it for you.
Gurmeet(01:14:08): They will perform some advance troubleshooting to resolve your issue.
Barbra Bateman(01:14:11): I can attest to the fact that there is a problem, and I well believe it is on this side (although there may be issues all over the place, who knows). I need to have a service call on this, and must be at the doctors' and at school throughout this week. I cannot afford to pay for a service I cannot use, and I need assistance in resolving the issue. There must be some way to get this solved without me hanging on the line for hours. It is exhausting, rather than assiting, me.
Gurmeet(01:14:52): Okay.
Gurmeet(01:15:18): If you allow me, then I can arrange a call back for you for tomorrow.
Barbra Bateman(01:15:59): I cannot help but worry: I am paying for something I am not receiving. And I am being turned in circles when I try to get the issue resolved. Thank you for the apologetic words, but I do not need reassurance: I need someone to cur the red tape & take care of this without further exhausting or frustrating me -- and without using my own resources to get the problem solved.
Gurmeet(01:16:58): I totally agree with you. As a consumer myself I would be just as frustrated if placed in this position.
Gurmeet(01:17:17): If you allow me, then I can arrange a call back for you for tomorrow.
Barbra Bateman(01:17:28): I will be at the doctor's or at class, but it is possible I may be reached in between at my AT&T mobile number. The problem is, I do not answer that phone unless I recognize the number. I cannot. Is there someplace I can go in person nearby to arrance a service call?
Gurmeet(01:18:08): No, there is no other way.
Barbra Bateman(01:18:11): Thank you for your acknowlegement of the situation Verizon has created here. I am sorry if my ignorance or stupidity has added to it in any way. Gurmeet(01:18:31): In that case, you have to call our voice technical support.
Gurmeet(01:19:12): I really apologies for the inconvience caused to you.
Barbra Bateman(01:19:15): I will accept a call from, what?, a toll-free number tomorrow unless I am in the doctor's office (not allowed) or in a place in school in which phones are blocked. At what time do you expect someone would call me?
Gurmeet(01:19:41): You can give me the call back time.
Barbra Bateman(01:19:56): Apologies, however sincere, do not remedy the situation, but thank you. I really miss having a reliable ISP.
Gurmeet(01:20:17): Your welcome.
Barbra Bateman(01:20:27): Must I be by the computer? Really, this is kind of ridiculous, you must admit.
Gurmeet(01:21:33): Please give me the call back time so that I can arrange a call back for you.
Barbra Bateman(01:23:45): Is it possible to effectively troubleshoot it or arrange a service call when I am not at the desk where the computer is? That is a crucial piece of information for me to have in order to schedule a block of time to devote to this nettlesome and annoying problem. I apologize again for my harsh tone, but you really have to admit this is just beyond the pale.
Gurmeet(01:24:43): They will help you to resolve your issue.
Barbra Bateman(01:25:46): Must I be at the computer? I just do not have the pateience or time (or voice and hand strength) to continue to make these calls. I am sorry to be skeptical. I think I need a service call.
Barbra Bateman(01:26:19): Please answer the question to the best of your ability. Thanks.
Barbra Bateman(01:26:52): *patience
Gurmeet(01:28:53): I will arrange a call back and they will contact with you and after that they will do some more advace troubleshooting, if they could not resolve you issue then they will arrange a techincian to fix your issue.
Barbra Bateman(01:29:57): Will they be able to do their troubleshooting without me by the computer? Do I have to leave the computer on for the day?
Barbra Bateman(01:30:06): Is that even a good thing to do?
Gurmeet(01:30:41): No, you will have to be there with your computer.
Gurmeet(01:33:17): Please respond on this chat window otherwise the chat window would get inactive.
Barbra Bateman(01:33:35): Then it will have to be on Wednesday during the day. How long should I block out for it? How many calls more do you think it will take before they send a tech to physically tackle the job?
Gurmeet(01:34:51): If you want to arrange a direct technician at your to fix the issue. Then I would request you to contact our Voice Technical support at 1-800-VERIZON or 1-800-837-4966 and Voice Prompt - "DSL Technical Support. They are available 24x7 (Monday through Sunday).
Barbra Bateman(01:35:30): You offered to schedule a callback. I am requesting that you follow through on that.
Gurmeet(01:36:17): Okay.
Gurmeet(01:36:40): You will get a call on Wednesday during the day.
Barbra Bateman(01:36:41): I have indicated to you that I have tried repeatedly to get my problem addressed that way. Please do what you said you would. Thanks.
Gurmeet(01:36:56): Okay.
Gurmeet(01:37:17): Please do no worry.
Gurmeet(01:37:32): Is there anything else I may assist you today?
Barbra Bateman(01:37:42): At what number? I am yelled out if I take calls, especially long ones on the number you have. Shall I give you my mobile phone number??
Gurmeet(01:38:03): Yes, please.
Barbra Bateman(01:38:20): Yes, please ensure that I do not receive tech calls on the house line. I cannot take much more stress from this issue.
Gurmeet(01:38:36): Okay.
Barbra Bateman(01:39:26): My mobile telephone number is 610 209-2840. I will look for a call on Wednesday. If it can be fairly early in the day East Coast time in the United States, that would be very helpful. How much time should I set aside to assist in the troubleshooting?
Gurmeet(01:39:57): Okay.
Gurmeet(01:40:03): Thank you.
Gurmeet(01:40:08): Is there anything else I may assist you today?
Barbra Bateman(01:41:41): Thank you, but please answer that question. Also, is it possible to have someone call me back in the a.m.? If you can accurately answer both those questions, I will be appreciative. If this problem can be resolved, I will be both flabbergasted and extremely grateful. Please finish assisting me with this, and thank you for your time.
Barbra Bateman(01:42:13): Wednesday a.m., that is.
Gurmeet(01:42:18): Your welcome.
Gurmeet(01:42:29): Okay.
Barbra Bateman(01:42:50): Please finish with this okay. Also, will I get a record of this help-desk chat?
Gurmeet(01:43:06): Okay
Gurmeet(01:43:11): Have a nice day!
Gurmeet(01:43:12): Bye!
Gurmeet(01:43:32): You can finish this chat from your side. Your session is now closed.
Thank you, have a nice day

No comments: