Thursday, February 07, 2008

A Timely Retreat

Fox News' is reporting that Romney decided to withdraw from the race while writing his speech last night. Apparently Romney realized his campaign would cause division in the Republican party and allow a Democrat to win.

I give him credit for withdrawing with grace. There was some conjecture that he'd leave the race at CPAC. His speech showed perhaps the greatest level of sincerity I've seen from his campaign. My only two caveats are these: (1) Although it is certain that evil exists, I am always concerned when politicians point to "evil" enemies of the United States. (2) I am as yet unconvinced of Romney's conservative conversion. It still strikes me more as practical politics than a change of heart.

Having said that, I admire not only the enormous effort he put into the campaign, but also the sensitivity and style he showed in leaving it.

No comments: