Friday, November 07, 2008

After Thanksgiving Comes ...

... black Friday. What were you thinking -- Christmas?

Here's my annual attempt to pry Christmas lists out of my friends and family by offering up what's good for me this year.

First, I do not NEED anything. I know that will contradict what you read below, but I'm sure you're all smart enough to understand the context. I have been incredibly blessed by family and friends this year, and by the opportunity to continue my studies. I do not expect anything except some holiday love, and I know that don't always come easy, either. I keep wish lists -- and gift lists for others -- at amazon.com for my own amusement. I hope to get my little bit of holiday shopping done early, for my own ease of planning and, frankly, for the good of our consumer economy.

"NEEDS:" pencils, particularly #2 Ticonderogas (they have the best erasers.) and drawing pencils (either the green ones or the blue ones are fine); pink pearl or similar erasers; recycled three-subject notebooks with as high post-consumer content as possible, with three-hole punches, if possible; drawing pads, fairly large format; graph paper; hygienic supplies: moisturizing soap (I particularly like Crabtree & Evelyn's rose scents.), Crest or Colgate whitening toothpaste "WANTS:" books and book gift certificates to area bookstores or chains; non-decadent jewelry, particularly earrings and bracelets (simple designs, beadwork or bees are best); gardening supplies (soil, soil amendments, clay pots, herb and vegetable seeds -- avoid the brand name & chemical; buy North American if at all possible)

With all due respect to my friends who are always kind enough to remember me with a token at the holidays, I'd really appreciate it if you left more personal gifts to my family and to my boyfriend of eight years. But PLEASE post or email a Christmas list. How can I help Santa without one??

No comments: