Sunday, November 06, 2011

The Most Wonderful Times of the Year?

In the name of brevity, I'm combining two of the posts I traditionally put up this time of year.

In date order:

First, the general election is this week, Tuesday, November 8. Polls in my home county, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, are open from seven a.m. to eight p.m. In a monumental oopsie (I assume) the county Republican committee for my poll sent out a "green ballot" or slate card from this past May's primary election in the U.S. Mail this week to voters throughout West Norriton Township. While the date is wrong and the "ballot" does not serve to offer, of course, any updated endorsements, it does serve as a reminder of what offices are on the ballot this time. The ballot is heavy with judgeships and row officer positions. There is a question of state and county judge retention, too. The meat-and-potatoes positions locally are seats on the school board and and township commissioners slots. A heated county commissioner's race has also been hot in the media, and its results will greatly affect the governance of this county.

As always, vote early, vote once and vote well.

If you don't feel educated about this, very competitive set of races now's the time to bone up on media coverage or start asking those you respect their opinions. Maybe both. Let's not neglect our precious franchise.

-----

Second, and more personal is the issue of Christmas. I don't need anything other than a few household staples like oatmeal, rice and water. I don't expect to be extravagant in gift-giving, and I don't think gifts need to be extravagant. This year in particular, I am thankful for my remarkable family, my sweetheart and the friends that have stuck by me, cheered me and pushed me forward. All I want is more time with them -- and maybe somebody to help me haul out my winter clothes. Brrrrrr.

No comments: