Thursday, October 20, 2005

Broken promises and hopeful signs: I told a friend I'd only blog this if I finished my library book, which is due (after a long wait to get it & one renewal) tomorrow. I reneged. I had to get in the last GOP event I attended before I try to help out at another one. Jim Saring made sure to pass on an invitation to magisterial district judge candidate Oscar Vance's meet, eat & greet event at the Glenside VFW. It was a chatty, fun event, and I was glad to get a chance to meet the candidate and some members of his quite impressive family. As I mentioned to a family friend, it will be gratifying to see Montgomery County's chief of detectives get the support he deserves. I have no doubt that wise minds in the local GOP will rally behind this smart, hard-working guy, and I'm certain he will woo Democrats to support him, too. I was delighted to see Jon Fox there and more charming than ever. He remains the patron saint of grassroots politics and everyone's favorite adopted uncle. The GOP social/election season continues full swing with a candidates' breakfast and a Monte Carlo night on the horizon and the county Republican committee's fall dinner on tap for this evening. The dinner is being held at Westover Golf Club, famous for among other things its owners (baseball great Mike Piazza's family) and the regular Friday night dinner my family has attended for over 25 years. This year's speaker is the co-chairman of the RNC, Jo Ann Davidson. On my calendar for next week, the biggest "todo" has to be the reception for gubernatorial candidate Lynn Swann Tuesday evening. Yes, all the candidates are expected at the fall dinner this evening. But this moderately-priced event will showcase two guys who deserve some attention: Swann and Vance. I've heard of some people I know asking the former wide receiver some interesting questions like: "Why are you a Republican?" My instinct is to like Swann a lot, and to be open to what both he and the rest of the field have to say. The goal in the gubernatorial race is twofold: Choose the best candidate for the GOP and then get that man elected. I'm behind a successful campaign that sees both of those goals met, and that means a fair fight followed by party unity. Speaking of campaigns in progress, I just have to post an update on my absolutely favorite candidate: He's been working hard in Monmouth County; his signs are out, about & sharp looking, and somebody shared some polling data with him that is not displeasing. Or so I heard.

No comments: