Sunday, October 02, 2005

More social column-type stuff, without the boldface names or photos -- and as always with an attempt to always be pleasant and good: My dear, dear friend had his Meet the Candidates brunch today. It was good; he was good, the food was even good. The view, as usual in his area of the world, was terrific. What a beautiful day! I didn't run into anyone who didn't seem interested and there was an acceptably reasonable level of earnestness. (I realize I often have to tone myself down in that department from time to time.) In short, everyone there seemed nice and everybody I saw seemed to have a good time. What more could you ask for at Sunday brunch? We even got to go across the street, check out a cool car show & pet some beautiful pooches. Speaking of nice people who had a good time, I finally managed to get to Penna. State Sen. Rob Wonderling's annual outdoor funfest this year. It was worth the wait. I failed in my attempt to drag my superlatively wonderful mother to the event, which is a picnic plus plus plus called Wonderwing. Apparently there were about eighteen hundred people there this year. I helped some of them find their parking lot or parking space. I also helped myself to three buffalo wings (two mild, one spicy), some celery & bleu cheese, one cheeseburger, one hot dog and a couple of sodas and waters. Hey, it was a good looong event ... There was also spin art (remember that?) and somebody gave me two gourds which will constitute my entire Halloween decoration effort. I put in one single chance on one of many groupings of cool sports trading cards. I didn't win, but it was great to see some very happy looking people who won everything from baskets of Pennsylania wine to kids art baskets to an autographed football ... to gift certificates for a ride on an airplane and handfuls or gift certificates for massage therapy. My kingdom for a handful of raffle tickets or a blank check for auction items! A big crew of my Eastern Montgomery County cohorts were there, both having fun & volunteering. Wonderling's staff and supporters seem fairly universally smart, hard-working, fun and interesting. Again, waiting a couple of years to get my butt to this bash at Spring Mount (2005 was the 4th annual) seems silly to me in retrospect. But better way late than never, for sure. I'm headed back to work tomorrow after my flu/bronchitis/battle with exhaustion/really nasty ick/whatever my doctors want to call it. I'm grabbing a nice long nap before I face the rest of this fabulously beautiful day.

No comments: