Friday, April 18, 2008

A Not-So-Private Private Meeting

I'll be the first to admit I'm having a hard time getting past the Holy Father's accent and his personal history. He is, however, at least talking about the plague of pedaphilia and sexual abuse that eats at my Church like a cancer.

Some of the people with whom the pope met yesterday at the chapel in the Vatican embassy are convinced his words show a change of heart. I continue to pray for all who are affected by these shameful acts, both victims and perpatrators. We can only hope that the Church, which is not known for swift change, can realize that evil done by its clergy compromises the good which is accomplished by religious people and institutions -- in addition to robbing people of their happiness and innocence.

I look forward to lifting those prayers up at Yankee Stadium in a throng of nearly 60,000 people Sunday. Well, OK, maybe I'm not looking forward to a throng ... but Mass should be fun.

No comments: