Sunday, April 20, 2008

Stirrings Before Dawn

The birds are singing and the sun's not yet risen here in West Norriton. The last thing I did last night before I set out my clothes for this morning was to pack a day's worth of food for our visit to the Bronx today: four lunch sandwiches (each one turkey plus a little bit of ham, roast beef and capicola, topped off with mustard and a tiny bit of horseradish), two peanut butter sandwiches for the morning or the ride home, almonds, raisins, oranges, apples and water. Plus cheese curls. I am not allowed to have cheese curls, but, hey, I packed for two.

I was so very serious when I said I'm not looking forward to the crowd. 60,000 or more people, even when gathered for something quite decent, are a bit to take. But I am looking forward to the day.

After I scan the news, I'm going to head learn how the Archdiocese of New York is planning to handle the distribution of communion to such numbers, and I'm going to check out the papal visit's Web site. I've already enjoyed a short piece from the wire, filed by the AP's Rachel Zoll, that lays out the schedule for Pope Benedict's last day in New York -- and strikes an even and hopeful tone.

Meanwhile, a quick scan of the news reveals that Danica Patrick has had some fun on the other side of the international date line. Looks like it's gonna be a good day, Tater.

No comments: