Monday, April 21, 2008

A Visit from O-Bomb-aaaaah

Where to begin?

Well, Obama was on my campus today. Clinton had been there a couple of weeks prior. Apparently her visit had been announced over a weekend, so there wasn't too much on-campus publicity about it.

His visit I heard about around noon today when a fellow student phoned to say classes were closed; buildings were locked. The gym, she said, was in lockdown. The first person with whom I spoke upon arrival to the gym (now open) said something about "a bomb," but that "everything was OK down here." When I said I sure hoped everything was OK all over the campus if they had any buildings at all open, he let slip that what people'd been calling a bomb was in fact Obama.

He was speaking on the patio outside the large, multicultural suburban college's cafeteria. He was protected by several local police departments (Abington was the farthest flung I noticed) and various other levels of police and security up to his ubiquitous Secret Service detail. The road leading to his speech location was wall-to-wall New York license plates, with the exception of an ABC News team out of Bucks County, Pa. A Prius with a New York livery car license plate drove Rachel Ray to the event. I couldn't make those kinds of details up, folks.

Obama took questions from the small crowd assembled for his visit, as a couple dozen people hoped to catch a glimpse of him outside. Unless I'm mistaken, the last question he took was from a young woman who asked whether seniors might pay a little more of their fair share of taxes to give Boomers and students some relief. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, Obama didn't say no. If he did, he took an awfully long time getting to no.

In other goings-on today, I had a pleasant chat with Samantha Gordon, Jon Corzine's aide (the one who was in the crash with him). Gordon has been with the Clinton campaign since the summer, and was front and center at her Norristown office. That place had a craft service table that would do a Hollywood production proud. And, no, I didn't even grab a bagel. Mmmmmmmm ... bagels.

Also, I'll try to bash out a post on my Yankee Stadium trip once I've rested up from Primary Day. For now, suffice it to say that I enjoyed myself -- and that New York City did itself proud.

No comments: